Tone Garage captures the pure essence of analog in these compact effect units by pairing carefully selected components with a unique design philosophy. The STRAIGHT 6 DRIVE takes advantage of VOX’s newly developed Hi-Volt technology and provide not only the warm tone expected from a tube but also the all important feel and dynamics.Main features
- Discrete circuitry – the result of a relentless design philosophy
- True bypass design provides tonal confidence even when the effect is off
- Tough die-cast body that stands up to the rigors of the road
- Newly developed Hi-Volt technology allows the tube to operate at 200V, even on battery power
- Gain control lets you adjust the tonal character
- Heater current’s slow start circuit ensures vacuum tube longevity
- Traditional British overdrive
- Bright Switch for added definition
The traditional VOX British overdrive
This overdrive overflows with the wide dynamic range of VOX’s signature British-flavored distortion. Turning the bright switch on will give you a sparkling British sound with defined highs, even from a guitar equipped with humbucking pickups. This is an all-around overdrive that’s a great choice for a wide range of styles.
Newly-developed Hi-Volt technology that overturns expectations for compact effect units
Hi-Volt technology enables the vacuum tube to operate at 200V while still running on a battery. This enables a true tube-driven sound that overturns your expectations for a compact effect unit.
What is Hi-Volt?
VOX has revealed a new vacuum tube circuit technology called Hi-Volt. It delivers high voltage (200V) to a 12AX7 vacuum tube by using 6x AA batteries or the DC9V power supply.
The discrete circuit works at 20V, which is still considered high voltage operation compared to other general effects products. The result is a natural and dynamic tone which is similar to that of a vacuum tube amplifier. Even though vacuum tubes are considered big by modern component size standards, our engineers were able to keep these pedals small, so you don’t have to worry about them taking up too much space on your pedal board.
Gain control that lets you vary the character of your sound
The transistor amplification circuit has also received a good deal of consideration. We’ve designed the gain control so that adjusting its position does not simply change the amplitude, but will also change the tonal character in a subtle way. From zero to max, it yields an array of highly usable and natural overdrive tones.
Carefully designed power supply circuit that extends vacuum tube lifespan
Since high current flows through a vacuum tube when the power is turned on, we have provided a heater current slow start circuit that extends the lifespan of the vacuum tube and also avoids malfunctions for the AC adapter.
VOX ST6OD STRAIGHT 6 DRIVE Specifications
- Input impedance: 1M Ω
- Output impedance: 2.2k Ω
- Vacuum tube: ECC83 / 12AX7
- Connections: INPUT jack (guitar input), OUTPUT jack (line output)
- Power: AA battery x 6
- AC adapter: DC 9V (Option)
- Vacuum tube operating voltage: 200 V
- Consumption current: 240 mA
- Battery Life: Approximately 7 hours
- Dimensions: (W x D x H): 87 x 132 x 63 / mm, 3.43 x 5.20 x 2.48 / inch
- Weight: 420 g / 14.81 oz (not including battery)
- Accessories: AA alkaline battery x 6 (for verifying operation)
- Options: AC Adapter