Duesenberg make some genuinely great looking guitars, with great pickup combos, flexible controls and brilliant features. Sometimes though simple is best and the Senior 52 Goldtop is just that. Simple and stunning. With just a single pickup you’d be forgiven for thinking this guitar does one sound…. Think again though.
Thanks to an ingenious wiring setup that pulls three different high-quality sounds out of one pickup you have a guitar that can handle any situation with ease and style.
1: Fat and present, a typical P90 sound
2: Glassy, pearl-like, full-bodied (rhythm) sound
3: Bell-like and volumetric, the characteristic sound of a P90 neck pickup
The instrument’s mahogany body gives you a great, warm tone and with resonance chambers designed not only to make the weight of the 52 Senior easy to manage but provide it with a great resonance and balance this sounds amazing. The mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard provide an earthy tone and feel, while the brass wrap-around bridge with its steel saddles enables immediate and precise transfer of vibration from strings to body so you get great sustain and the action is just stunning.
Here’s what Duesenberg have to say about the Senior 52
The 52 Senior joins seamlessly with the year 1952, widely known to be a very important one in the history of the electric guitar. It displays not only classic single cutaway styling along with many characteristic Duesenberg innovations, but it manages to get away with only one pickup – and very nicely, too! Single pickup guitars that, like the 52 Senior, have a vibration-friendly, wrap-around bridge invariably possess a special dynamic transparency. The 52 Senior scores additional points, too, thanks to ingenious wiring that essentially pulls three different high-quality sounds out of one pickup. Naturally . . . three steps ahead!
The instrument’s mahogany body has resonance chambers that not only make the weight of the 52 Senior easy to manage, but provide it with a forward, unstifled sound. Z Tuners make for effortless and fast replacement of strings, and the contoured chrome armrest allows for more comfort while playing.
• Neck Type: traditionally glued in
• Wood: 1-piece mahogany
• Width: 42,5 mm / 1.67″ (nut), 52 mm / 2.05″ (12th fret)
• Thickness: 21 mm / 0.8″ (1st fret), 24 mm / 0.95″ (12th fret)
• Shape: D
• Fingerboard: indian rosewood
• Radius: 30,5 mm / 12″
• Inlays: pearloid dots
• Frets: 22 jumbo 2,8 x 1,0 mm
• Scale length: 650 mm / 25.6″
• Trussrod: steel dual-action
• Headstock: rosewood veneer Body
• Type: solid mahogany with sound chambers
• Top: arched solid maple
• Size: 44 x 32,5 x 5,8 cm / 17.32″ x 12.6″ x 2.26″
• Binding: cream
• Pickguard: cream
• Finish: PUR lacquer. Back and sides trans-black. Hardware
• Tuners: Duesenberg Z-Tuners, “Art Diego” buttons
• Bridge: Duesenberg wrap-around bridge
• Strap pins: Duesenberg standard
• Extras: banjo-style armrest
• Hardware color: nickel
• Strings: Duesenberg DSA10 (010-013-017-028-042-050) Electrics
• Pickup (bridge): Duesenberg Domino P-90 or Little Toaster
• Wiring: 1 volume, 1 tone (speed-pot), 3-way sound selector