Like all Vintage Original Spec (VOS) series instruments, the 1957 Goldtop VOS is handcrafted for comfort & playability at the Gibson Custom Shop. The construction, neck profile, hardware and electronics are historically accurate/period correct right down to the smallest detail and a special nitro-cellulose finish treatment gives it the patina of a gently aged vintage instrument.
Gibson Custom introduced its Vintage Original Spec (VOS) series and a new generation of classic Gibson reissues was born. The master luthiers in the Gibson Custom Shop have implemented numerous new manufacturing techniques to give these impeccably accurate instruments the look and feel of actual vintage pieces that have aged gracefully while being played and very well cared for. The treatment is so convincing only the most disciplined will be able to resist pretending they’re the real thing!
In 1957, Gibson’s ever improving Les Paul model had already implemented several modifications that dramatically improved playability & functionality. These changes would remain as the foundation of the iconic version known around the world today as the Les Paul Standard. But nothing would compare to the addition of Gibson’s pioneering humbucking PAF (patent applied for) pickup in 1957.
Gibson did an amazing job recreating the tone of the original Seth Lover PAF’s with their BurstBucker 1 (R) and 2 (T) pickups which provide attention grabbing tone sure to put a grin on your face. Couple the incredible tone with the gorgeous, gleaming Antique Gold finish with contrasting ivory trim and you have the ’57 Goldtop VOS, a truly magnificent instrument that rivals it’s classic vintage predecessor with the look and feel of years of loving care!
Body & Hardware:
- Carved maple top
- Solid, non-weight relieved mahogany back
- Single-ply cream binding on top
- Thin toggleswitch washer & jackplate
- Nickel hardware
- ABR-1 bridge, lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece
Neck & Headstock:
- 1-piece mahogany neck w/long neck tenon
- 22 fret rosewood fingerboard
- Acrylic trapezoid inlays (accurate shape and color)
- Single-ply cream binding
- Early ’50s rounded neck profile
- 24 3/4″ scale length, 1 11/16″ nut width
- Holly headstock veneer
- Vintage tulip tuners
Electronics & Strings:
- BurstBucker 1 (R) and 2 (T) pickups
- CTS pots and bumble bee capacitors
- 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way selector switch
- Vintage Reissue .010 strings
- Custom Shop Case
- Certificate of Authenticity